Friday 5 May 2017

Bag, Boarding, and.... Catastrophe?


April 2016:

I was supremely excited about travelling alone! I was doing it after years, and it would be the first time that I was doing this on my own, no help whatsoever, in planning or execution. I decided the place I wanted to be at:

~ Bali ~

Aah! Just the thought now makes me travel back to those blissful moments!

I had gotten all my bookings done, and was prepared with all my notes organized, thanks to lonely planet!

My notes, you have got to see my notes.
They are organized and reorganized based on;
the information I receive,
then categorized under the places I would be visiting,
further organized into the order that will be plausible during my visit.
I also have a sub category based on priorities and the ones I can forego.

Try it, you’ll be grateful ! :D

I knew that I would want to cycle around, so I wanted free hands and something more practical for all my stuff (there’s A LOT of stuff!)
So, I ditched my purse for a new (and pretty) backpack.
The bag was perfect. It was everything I wanted it to be. It had so many pockets, it was light, yet big enough to hold all of my things. I had carefully picked it out after much contemplation. I had taken days to decide which colour I wanted, and what size would be best.

On the day of my journey, my bag was all ready. After checking in my suitcase at the airport, I felt even more liberated. I gave myself a mental high five, for my wisdom and acuity. I know what you’re thinking…*exaggeration much??* Okay, so it may seem like a small thing to you, but I am big on doing silly things and then repenting. But noooo, I was on top of the situation this time. (Well done, Ashwini!)

I walked with long strides and free hands that moved in abandon. I may have danced along the way until the security check (oh travel has never been this easy, I nailed it!)

*Random Internal dialogue* :
“I can’t see what’s happening behind me, what if something falls out from my bag?”
“tch! Nothing like that will happen. Why do you get weird thoughts like this?”


Cruising through the security, I headed to the washroom that is just past the security counter.
(Have you visited the washroom at the Bangalore airport? Oh you must! I know it is weird stating this, but it will be your best and most convenient experience.)
There happens to be a platform above the WC. Very convenient for keeping the million things that one is generally carrying while travelling. My boarding pass was still in my hand, so I placed it there; and made sure I picked it while leaving the restroom.

*Internal dialogue* :
“What if I had left it there?”
*walking towards the wash basins*
“Phew that would be disastrous! “
*washing hands*
“Really, what does one do if one loses their boarding pass?”
“Ashwini!! Why do you get thoughts like this?”
*walking out and passing through the artefacts store*
“Sorry but just hypothetically….”
“No!”
“But just….”
“Nooo!!”
“Okay, lets eat?”
“Yesss!” *wide grin*

Now I am beyond the Malgudi eatery. I decide to check my boarding gate number on my pass, so as to be prepared and eat at a counter close to my gate.
I slide my bag off my shoulder and look for my pass.
Wait.
What?
Wait.
Noooooooo!!!
Where is my boarding pass??!!

Proof that a thought is quick to manifest.
Dear universe, I know that works, and works really well. Why did you have to find this moment to reaffirm that with me?!
*retracing my steps*
There were probably twenty steps that I had taken. How did this happen?
I couldn’t find it anywhere! Even the police at the security counter said they hadn’t found it. The ‘lost and found’ hadn’t found it. That’s it! I thought it was the end of my trip. I’m going to be asked to go back home. I was laughing! Literally standing and laughing, all by myself. I always do that when I’m in a spot like this. One of the best things I learnt from my family; the world doesn’t end, right? Papa always says, “maximum what will happen?”


I mustered up enough courage to go and report at the boarding gate. The lady at the counter was on a call. Those were probably the longest minutes of my life. (hurryyyy, I have a flight to catch! Umm….hopefully. *fingers crossed*)

When I explained the issue, with great remorse; she gave me that really horrible look. Wow, I could actually feel worse about what I had done. 
Turns out this happens often, and she was sick of passengers being casual about it. Oh I wasn’t casual, I surely wasn’t!
As we prepared to get a new copy of the boarding pass for me, I explained how I thought I wouldn’t be allowed to board the flight, and sent back home. 
Well, at least I gave her a reason to laugh….

All is well when you know that you are back on track.

*Internal Dialogue* :
“No time for a snack though!”
“*hmph* okay, will make peace with that. As long as I got to go on my trip."

“Yaayy Bali, here I come…..”



No comments:

Post a Comment