Friday 12 May 2017

Foot'loose'

July 2015 
(Flight from BOM to SFO) 
A mid night flight from Mumbai to San Francisco. Stop over at Zurich. 

This is how the countdown to the take off began... 

*excitement into times ten*
*yawn*
*excitement into times twenty*

Nrityanidhi was to perfom in the USA for the very first time. We couldn't have been more thrilled about this. Additionally, we had a huge troupe travelling, and also one of our very close friend. A friend who laughs uncontrollably along with us. *excitement into times forty*


So on the flight, I was to sit next to this friend; and our seats happened to be at the very end (repercussions of not web checking in, on time). 


The flight was so quiet; a typical overseas, late night flight. People talking in hushed tones. Many of them snuggled into their blankets, half asleep. 


The air hostess showed us the way to our seats. Our friend was walking ahead of me, and my sister, behind me. Having to travel for a show has us with big cabin bags too. So we're all trying to fit into the aisles with minimal intrusion into others' spaces, avoiding bumping into elbows or pushing our bags into someone's face (yeah those people are so annoying. But when you're one of the plausible annoyer, {is that even a word?} then the empathy really surfaces.)

We're walking down the aisle, and Ranj (the friend) points to our seat. I give one upward glance at it, and within a fraction of a second, take an extraordinary flip over the bag in front of me, drop my own bag into a sleeping man's face, and fall with my legs up in the air and face on the floor. 


Needless to say, I'm laughing really hard while trying to balance myself up, rolling out an unsatisfactory apology to the poor man who was jolted out of his REM sleep. Ranj and Akku are unable to help me as they are turning away, trying to stop themselves from bursting into loud splits of laughter. 



Why God, why does this have to happen with me? My poise of being a dancer, all shattered! 


Well, I could say that enough number of experiences bring us "down to earth";

A little too literal in my case. *wink wink*

Embrace them all, and laugh along. These memories either teach us lessons or give us a tickle;. both lasting a lifetime! 


Lesson learnt : 

1. Do not carry heavy luggage into the cabin. 
2. Stay away from snoozing strangers. 
3. Do not depend on your sister or friend for help when there's a laughable situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment